Since the focus of your first appointment is not only a thorough examination but also the collection of your medical history, please bring all previous findings from your family doctor and/or internal medicine doctor(s) with you. This includes findings from Endocrinologists, Diabetologists, Cardiologist, Gastroenterologists as well as old operation reports and all types of examinations (Blood analysis, …)
In order to help patients suffering from excess skin and fat after massive weight loss quickly and comprehensively, we have set up a special consultation. Only a detailed doctor / patient consultation forms the basis for successful individual treatment.
The aim is to create an individually tailored treatment plan for the patient, with which an optimal treatment result can be achieved with the lowest possible risk.
The Medical Report
Your GP will receive a doctor’s letter at an early stage with my assessment of your situation and, if necessary, a therapy recommendation. Should an intervention be necessary, he will be asked to prepare the necessary anesthesia. He knows the general state of health of his patients best and can often provide valuable information in advance of an operation. If you do not want your family doctor to be informed, please let me know.
In order to facilitate a familiar and stress-free atmosphere in the operating room, I have been working closely with our Anesthesia department. This collegial cooperation of experienced specialists and the use of the most modern substances and comprehensive monitoring devices ensure the greatest possible safety for the patient during and after the operation.
Various forms of anesthesia are available for patients with body contouring surgery. The aim is to select the most gentle form of anesthesia while reliably eliminating pain. The decision depends on the type of surgery to be performed and the general health and personal preferences of the patient. After consultation with the surgeon, the anesthetist determines the most suitable form of anesthesia together with the patient.
Small operations, such as scar revisons can be made under local anesthesia. To reduce stress and aniety additional application of tranquilizing substances can be added (Analgosedation).
Body contouring operation mostly treat large part of the body. Therefore general anesthesia is the technique of choice.
Before & After The Operation
At this point, we would like to familiarize you with some important information regarding the correct behavior before and after operations and in the context of therapy and aftercare, which must be observed:
- If, for whatever reason, you are unable to keep the agreed date for the operation, please inform me by telephone as early as possible so that the appointment can be given to another patient.
- The area to be operated on must be free of recent injuries. If there is an infection or a fresh or crusted tear, the surgical procedure cannot be carried out. You should therefore refrain from manual activities with an increased risk of injury. When handling pets, special care must be taken to avoid any scratches or small bite wounds.
- If general infections or purulent inflammations occur, the surgical intervention should be postponed because of the associated general weakening of the immune system.
- In the case of Marcumar patients, the Quick/INR value must be brought into the normal range after consultation with your surgeon and the general practitioner or specialist in internal medicine. We are always at your disposal for any questions.
- Before surgical interventions under general anesthesia, you are not allowed to eat or drink anything or smoke after a previously agreed time (usually 6 hours before the planned intervention).
- For your own safety, please leave jewelry, valuables and large sums of cash at home. All jewelry (bracelets, rings, etc.) on the operated extremity must be removed before the procedure.
- Make sure, that your garment is delivered and fitting well, as it is your first dressing, applied directly after surgery.
- Adequate pain management is always necessary. Early patient mobilization – at the day of surgery – is a must to reduce the risk of blood clotting complications (thrombosis, lung embolus, ….).
- How long you have to stay in our hospital after an operation depends primarily on the extent of the procedure done. Irrespective of the form of anesthesia chosen, you are not fit to drive after an operation due to the medication administered (including local anaesthetics) and under no circumstances are you allowed to drive a vehicle, but you are also not allowed to take part in road traffic as a pedestrian or train passenger. Please ensure that a relative or friend accompanies you home.
- Since local anesthesia and regional anesthesia can last for hours and the sensation of pain is reduced or eliminated as a result, there is an increased risk of injury to the anaesthetized part of the body. Therefore avoid contact with hot, pointed and sharp-edged objects.
Postoperative Care Protocol:
|Hospitalization||1 – 3 nights|
|Antibiotics||Cephazolin 2g single shot|
|Pain management||Cox 2 (Arcoxia ™/Etoricoxib 90mg 1-0-0) for 3-5 days|
|Mobilisation||Early regular movement from the 1st post-OP day on|
|Activities||Movement without force immediately, partial load (<10 kg) by 10-14 Days, full exercise (sport) 6 weeks post-op|
|1st dressing||before dismission: control of perfusion of the skin flap|
|Compression garment||for 6 weeks post-OP day (and night) in case of additional liposuction)|
|Shower||24 – 48 h post-OP (Attention: risk of hypotensive syncope in postoperative hypotension aggravated by vasodilation due to warm water)|
|Sick leave||2 – 3 weeks|
|Bath||After complete wound healing|
|Removal of stiches||10-14 days post-OP|
|Skin care||Fat creme 3-5x/d by the patient him/herself|
|Scare treatment||Silicon sheet application after complete wound healing + compression until complete scar healing|
|Check-up||10 days (suture removal) 3 weeks post-OP (start scar treatment) 6 weeks post-OP (control swelling, control scar treatment) 12 weeks post-OP (control swelling, control scar treatment) 1 year post-OP (long term result)|